Worcester Wolves were defeated in a thrilling six-point loss to Cardiff Met Archers, ending their season on a low note.

Despite a strong showing at the University of Worcester Arena, Wolves were unable to clinch the victory, as Archers ended their regular season with a 66-60 win.

The match saw an impressive performance from Germany international Lena Knippelmeyer for Wolves.


Read more: Worcester MP Robin Walker speaks on Worcester Warriors


Starting the game strongly, she netted in the first possession, scoring from inside the key after picking up an offensive rebound.

Knippelmeyer added another two points after converting two free throws.

Exceptional ball movement by Wolves placed the Archers defence out of position, allowing for a pick that found Cat Yearron under the basket for her first points of the game.

Knippelmeyer's fifteen points in the quarter saw Wolves ahead 18-11 at the period's conclusion.

The second quarter saw Archers pressing Wolves, prompting turnovers and lay-up opportunities which saw Cardiff taking the lead by a point, up 19-18.

Lucas Warburton, Wolves Head Coach, called a time-out to stop the bleeding, triggering a swift response that saw Wolves regain their footing, with Loughlin converting a shot from above the free-throw line before netting a buzzer beater to regain the lead.

Knippelmeyer and Kayla Bell further bolstered the scoreboard, before Archers' Jade Atkin hit a deep two-pointer to cut Wolves lead to three points towards the end of the quarter.

But Wolves fought hard, with Loughlin and Knippelmeyer adding further points to give Wolves a 32-19 lead with under three minutes left in the half.

Kate Morrow was firing in the final moments of the period, sensationally getting Archers ahead by a point heading into the break, 35-34.

The second half saw a continued back-and-forth between both teams, with Elana Brand leading the way for Wolves, and Leah Evans for the visitors.

However Cardiff began to pull away, leading by eight points heading into the final quarter.

The climax of the match saw Knippelmeyer bring the team within reach of victory, before Loughlin managed to level things up.

However, it was not enough in the end, with Morrow re-establishing an unassailable Archers lead, and condemning Wolves to defeat.

Knippelmeyer finished the match as the leading scorer for Wolves with a double-double of 25 points and 13 rebounds, as well as six assists, followed by Loughlin with nineteen points, six rebounds and seven assists.

The game was a thrilling prelude to the side's upcoming rematch in the upcoming play-offs in May.