DANNY Glover stated his case to earn a deal at Worcester City with a second-half brace against AFC Liverpool.

The former Port Vale striker, on trial with the St George’s Lane club, netted within six minutes of replacing Mark Danks at half-time and added another just past the hour.

Glover’s double put City 3-1 ahead with Andrew McCoy’s 15th-minute drive having cancelled out Marc McGregor’s headed opener six minutes previously.

Sub Dan Polan wrapped up a comfortable stroll in the afternoon sun for Carl Heeley’s team with a fourth 60 seconds from time.

McGregor began up front with Danks and, although the goals came against a side four rungs lower in the non-league ladder, Glover showed he has an eye for goal.

Tom Thorley was again a threat from set-pieces, setting up the first goal for McGregor, as he controlled the midfield with Kevin O’Connor, while goalkeeper Tim Sandercombe’s handling and kicking were assured.

Despite Heeley’s squad taking shape, there was a start for former Hereford winger Craig Jones on the left, while ex-Port Vale trainee Simon Richman replaced Jason Pike on the right of midfield for the second-half.

The hosts took the lead after nine minutes. Goalkeeper Ryan Brookfield pushed O’Connor’s strike past the post and, from the resulting corner, Thorley’s right-wing cross was headed home by McGregor.

For all their possession, City paid the price for allowing McCoy time and space to net with a left-foot drive from the edge of the area six minutes later.

The friendly element of the fixture was called into question when Mark Clyde took exception to a challenge from Gibbons and pushed his opponent away. However, Gibbons dragged Clyde to the ground but was replaced by his manager Paul Moore, the ex-City goalkeeper.

Glover, Tom Evans and Richman replaced Danks, Clyde and Pike respectively at the break and Glover had restored Worcester’s lead within six minutes of the re-start.

Jamie Price whipped in a cross from the left and the former Port Vale trainee arrived at the far post to blast home.

The 20-year-old striker saw an effort come back off the post on the hour but he made amends seconds later by rising to nod home Graham Ward’s cross.

Francis Barry missed a sitter for the Merseysiders six minutes from time, side-footing past the post with Sandercombe beaten.

City had the last word, however, when Polan converted substitute Gary Walker’s cross in the 89th minute.

City: Sandercombe, Ward, Price (Shabir 53), Thorley, Elvins, Clyde (Evans HT), Pike (Richman HT), O’Connor, Danks (Glover HT), McGregor (Polan 68), Jones (Walker 82). Subs not used: Birch, Wright (GK).

Attendance: 288.