THURSDAY, January 15, 1959. The most famous day in Worcester City Football Club's history - bar none.

It was, of course, the cold winter's day when, in front of a staggering 15,111 people at St George's Lane, City ousted Liverpool 2-1 in the FA Cup third round.

Harry Knowles, Tommy Skuse and Eddie Wilcox are just three names from Bill Thompson's legendary side.

The memories are still rife and no doubt Captain Crazy will make reference to it before the current City crop face Romulus in tomorrow's second qualifying round match (3pm).

City vice-chairman Laurie Brown was just a 15-year-old Royal Grammar School, Worcester pupil back then but he vividly recalls his team's moment in history.

Brown, now 63, said: "It's a long time ago but we had the half-day off school to see it.

"It wasn't played on the Saturday because the ground was frozen.

"There were thousands of Liverpool fans, they were very well behaved and they all came back for the Thursday.

"The attendance was 15,111 but I am sure there were a lot more than that there. They were coming over the fence and getting in any way they could. They just wanted to see the game.

"We were 2-0 up and Liverpool scored about 10 minutes from the end. I think it was the longest 10 minutes of my life.

"But we deserved to win on the day, no doubt about it, because we had some really good players.

"It was tremendous when the final whistle went, everybody was over the moon. It was just unbelievable.

"Apparently, there is a pub in Liverpool that is frequented by Everton fans and they have got picture on the walls of the game!"

City went on to lose 2-0 at home to Sheffield United in the fourth round nine days later, but their victory over Liverpool may have gone some way to making the Anfield club what it is today.

"Liverpool were a second division side then, they weren't the team that they were today," Brown said.

"After we beat them they got rid of their manager (Phil Taylor because of health reasons) and appointed Bill Shankly and it just changed their destiny.

"We played Sheffield United in the next round but we didn't play as well that day and they deservedly beat us."

Fellow City official Alan Wills, who looks after the 200 Club, also has fond memories of the match. Now aged 60, he was a mere 13-year-old on the terraces.

"It was the first game I ever came to see at St George's Lane," he said. "It was an afternoon game because they wouldn't play under our floodlights.

"I remember they put a lot of salt on the pitch to try and break up the ice that had caused it to be postponed the previous week.

"I remember being stuck up the canal end among this big crowd. I couldn't really see a lot of what was going on but the atmosphere was incredible.

"I remember the headlines in the national papers the following day and cutting them out."

Now, 47 years on, City once again are embarking on the FA Cup trail and Brown, for one, is hoping City can one day repeat that success for future generations.

He added: "We want to get some more success so people remember that and not just the Liverpool match."