Harriers 3, Nuneaton 1

HARRIERS comfortably overcame ragged Nuneaton at Aggborough on Tuesday night.

The hosts made a perfect start when Craig Reid plundered his third goal of the season early on.

Kyle Storer added a second just before half-time but a Josh Gowling own goal put the game in contention.

But Jack Byrne's effort made sure Kidderminster bounced back from Saturday's defeat to Altrincham and left them in striking distance of the Vanarama Conference play-off spots.

But relegation battling Boro produced a leaky defensive display to encourage the home side, who are bright and inventive throughout.

Manager Gary Whild made two changes from the side which lost 2–1 at Altrincham.

With Matt Robinson returned to Luton after his loan spell ended, Callum Gittings was drafted into midfield.

Kyle Storer, who had been out for a month after surgery on a hernia, was as thrown back into the fray.

They faced a Nuneaton side without on-loan Kidderminster hitman Michael Gash, who could not play against his parent club.

But the hosts were handed a perfect start in the sixth minute when Reid made a clever run and latched onto defender Anthony Charles' shot back header and slotted a right-footed effort past keeper Christian Dibble.

Harriers were in complete control and created a host of scoring chances against a porous visiting defence.

Jack Byrne came close to adding a second when he slid into meet Reid's cross but diverted the ball wide at the far post.

The midfielder came close again in the 16th minute and saw a deft flicked header from Kevin Nicholson's corner fly over the bar.

Nuneaton offered little going forward but had a chance in the 24th minute. Adam Dawson pounced on rare slip by Nicholson but his shot was blocked by Jamie Grimes.

But it was Harriers, with the attacking trip of Aman Verma, Reid and Marvin Johnson revelling in the space they were given, who terrorised Nuneaton.

It took a great challenge by Theo Streete to deny Reid in the 38th minute after a fine break by Johnson.

But Harriers doubled their lead less than 60 seconds later when former Nuneaton man Storer volleyed home from close range from a Josh Gowling header.

Verma then drove a firm long range effort a fraction wide in the 43rd minute.

Nuneaton made a concerted push at the start of the second half but it was the hosts who continued to look dangerous.

Dibble had to be alert to punch away Nicholson's free-kick at his right hand post.

But Nuneaton were handed a lifeline in the 62nd minute when Gowling headed Dawson's cross into his own net.

Dibble then had to pluck a well-placed effort from Johnson out of the air as it arrowed towards the top corner.

Harriers restored their two-goal cushion in the 72nd minute as Nuneaton were carved open. Verma opted not to shoot and slid a lovely pass to Byrne, who side footed home.

The hosts pressed for more goals and Reid was unlucky to steer a firm effort wide, while Dibble was equal to a thundering strike effort from Byrne.

But they made sure of a comfortable three points to keeper the promotion dream alive.

Harriers: Lewis, Hodgkiss, Storer, Byrne, Johnson, Reid (Hales, 82), Grimes, Verma, Gittings, Nicholson, Gowling.

Subs not used: Mayebi, Green, Obeng, Tunnicliffe.

Nuneaton: Dibble, Starosta, Franklin, Armson (Barrington, 56), Dawson, Streete, Stankevicius, Brown, Fowler (Walker, 78), Sodje, Charles.

Subs not used: Cowan, Walker, Smith, Quinn.

Referee: Adam Bromley.

Attendance: 1377 (94)