Harriers 1, Telford 1

GARY Whild gave a damning verdict about his players’ below par display as Harriers wasted an opportunity to get back on track against bottom side Telford on Saturday.

In recent weeks, the Aggborough outfit had produced more than competitive displays against strong sides such as Grimsby, Wrexham and Woking.

Even when they did not get the points those performances may have warranted, Harriers’ mild-mannered manager was positive results would come.

But after watching his side fail to trouble the leakiest defence in the Vanarama Conference and produce their poorest performance of the season, he had some choice words.

Before arriving in Wyre Forest, Telford had conceded 35 goals in 13 games, yet Harriers failed to truly test the battered Bucks, with the attacking trio of Marvin Johnson, Reece Styche and Michael Gash failing to impose themselves.

Telford keeper Jon Hedge made decent saves to deny Kyle Storer and Jack Byrne, while Aman Verma should have done better with a free header.

Verma made up for his miss by opening his account for the club in the 45th minute when headed home from Kevin Nicholson’s excellent cross – but the hosts never really built on their timely strike.

“The lads have had a lot of praise this season but it was nowhere near good enough,” commented Whild.

“Opportunities come along and we’re not taking them. We got nothing at Wrexham, we got a draw against Telford and that’s why we’re ninth, not in the top five.

“We never got started. The message to the lads after Wrexham all week was that we need to start brightly, we need plenty of energy but that was devoid across the pitch.”

Liam Watson’s Telford produced a much-improved display.

Reds keeper Danny Lewis tipped over a good long range strike from Godfrey Poku and denied substitute Kristian Platt in the second half.

But Andy Todd punished Nicholson’s slip in the left-back position and slammed a fine effort past Lewis in the 79th minute.

Nicholson felt he had been fouled in the build-up but it summed up Kidderminster’s day.

Whild added: “Our goal came out of nowhere, it was a good delivery by Kevin and a good header. But other than that I didn’t see balls go into the box and I didn’t see their keeper make saves.

“There are no easy games in this division. If you turn up not quite right there’s a chance you’re going to get turned over. I didn’t see anything from us at all; any desire, energy or work rate.”

HARRIERS: Lewis 6, Hodgkiss 6, Storer 5, Dunkley 6, Byrne 5, Johnson 5 (Gittings, 65), Gash 4 (Blissett, 74), Styche 5 (Reid, 61), Verma 6, NICHOLSON 7, Gowling 6. Subs not used: Obeng, Grimes.

TELFORD: Hedge, Byrne, Akrigg (Platt, 58), Grogan, Farrell, Clancy, Cooke (Gray, 93), Barnett (Deacey, 63), Poku, Todd, Higgins. Subs not used: McDonald, Pryce.

Referee: Steve Rushton. Attendance: 2117 (262)