HARRIERS were left to rue a Jekyll and Hyde performance as they were edged out by Chester.

Kidderminster were lacklustre in the first half and trailing thanks to Craig Mahon's wonder strike.

It could have been worse as Chester, managed by ex-Harriers boss Steve Burr, squandered a host of chances.

But the Aggborough outfit improved dramatically in the second half and were denied a share of the spoils by keeper Jon Worsnop, who produced a host of fine saves.

There was one change from the side which beat Aldershot in mid week, with Danny Lewis back in goal and Jasbir Singh dropped to the bench.

Chester handed a debut to teenage hitman Oliver McBurnie, who joined on loan from Bradford.

Harriers made a quick start and created their best chance of the first half straight from kick off.

Marvin Johnson made a good raid down the left and Kevin Nicholson delivered a good cross but Keyon Reffell, who made a clever run, steered his header over.

Chester suffered a setback in the third minute when key defender Matty Brown fell awkwardly and suffers a knee injury and was replaced by Ben Heneghan.

But the hosts soon took control of the game and created a good chance to open the scoring in the ninth minute.

Jordan Tunnicliffe was too casual intercepting the ball and Sean McConville saw a close range effort parried by Lewis.

Harriers' keeper was jittery, with several poor quality goal-kicks.

But he kept the scores level in the 17th minute when parrying Mahon's right-footed shot.

But it was Chester who pushed for goals and in the 21st minute, John Rooney curled a good effort wide.

The hosts also felt they had a penalty when Tunnicliffe shoved McBurnie but the referee ignored their pleas.

Mahon made it 1-0 in the 30th minute when he pounced on Jared Hodgkiss' clearance and beat Lewis with a lofted 20-yard effort.

Chester could easily have increased their lead. A whipped in cross from Mahon was headed over the bar by McConville at the far post.

Mahon caught out Harriers' statuesque defence with another accurate delivery but much to the away team's relief, Dan Abbott could not make make contact.

Harriers started the second half with added urgency and a Johnson corner nearly breached the hosts but neither Jamie Grimes or Tunnicliffe could find the back of the net.

Jamie Spencer then replaced Reffell in the 55th minute.

Johnson, who had been quiet in the first half, had came to life and after getting the better of right-back Ryan Higgins, he saw a shot blocked.

Spencer had a great chance to level the scores in the 58th minute. The defender strode free but a last ditch tackle from Gareth Roberts diverted his effort the wrong side of the post.

In the 68th minute, Wildig flashed a 15-yard effort over the bar after a good run and cross from Johnson.

Danny Wright was then close to his first Harriers goal in the 71st. The big striker stooped to meet Wildig's ball but steered it agonisingly wide.  The away side continued to pile on the pressure and from an 85th minute corner,  Worsnop dived bravely Verma's goalbound shot.

Heneghan then stood strong to block a thundering effort from Harriers substitute Jake Green.

Wornsop produced his best save in the second minute of added time, demonstrating cat-like reactions to stretch out a hand and claw Wright's close range volley away.

Harriers: Lewis, Hodgkiss (Green, 79), Byrne, Johnson, Wright, Grimes, Verma, Reffell (Spencer, 55), Tunnicliffe, Wildig, Nicholson.

Subs not used: Kelly, Singh, Asante.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Kay, Brown (Heneghan, 3), Roberts, Rooney (Green, 72), Abbott ,Thomson, 84), Mahon, Hughes, McConville, McBurnie.

Subs not used: Viscosity, Richards.

Referee: Adrian Holmes.

Attendance: 2111