HARRIERS were left to rue “one mistake” as they fell to another National League North defeat against Southport at Aggborough.

The Sandgrounders pounced to take advantage of a costly, momentary lapse at the back for the home side, with Devarn Green turning the ball home from close range for the only goal of the game inside the final 20 minutes.

Under the stewardship of caretaker boss, Russ Penn, following the departure of John Pemberton earlier in the week, Harriers made two changes to their starting line-up – including a debut for goalkeeper Will Mannion who slotted in between the sticks after joining on loan from Hull City.

Ryan Johnson was also back in the starting line-up as he replaced Richard Peniket, Penn opting for a 4-2-3-1 formation for his maiden contest going it solo in the dugout.

After a fairly quiet and even beginning, Harriers moved into the ascendancy with three chances falling to striker Ashley Chambers around the half-hour mark, the front man turning one effort wide before forcing the goalkeeper into two fine saves in quick succession.

First, Albinson extended himself to turn away Chambers’ effort from the edge of the area, before matching that stop with another a minute later, getting a strong hand to a well-directed header from Chambers to turn it over.

After the break it was Mannion’s turn to show what he could do, showing great alertness to palm Benjamin’s volley over the bar. Harriers also breathed a sigh of relief a little more than ten minutes later when a Green header deflected off Austin and wide.

Southport edged closer and closer to a breakthrough so it wasn’t necessarily against the run of play when they did net – a deep cross somehow going unchallenged as it found its way to in-form Green who diverted it past a helpless Mannion.

Harriers did half some half chances to respond; Ed Williams lifting a free-kick over the bar and Johnson planting a header wide, but Southport saw out their win with relative comfort.

Penn was left to rue the solitary goal, saying after the game: “I thought it was two solid teams, and it looked like that for 70 minutes.

“One mistake has cost us, and we don’t seem to be on the other end of them at the moment.”

HARRIERS: Mannion, Austin, Davidson, R Williams, Johnson, Moyo, Butterfield (Diau 76), Weeks, E Williams, Hemmings, Chambers (Peniket 62).

Subs not used: Shenton, Prosser, Palmer.

Attendance: 1,206

Referee: Scott Simpson