HARRIERS were helpless to stop York City cruising to a comfortable 1-0 win at Aggborough that took them back to the top of National League North.

Boss Russ Penn made one change to the side that picked up a goalless draw at Gateshead a week previous, with new signing Alex Penny being drafted into the starting line-up just days after inking a two-and-a-half year contract with the club, joining from Boston United. As a result, Ryan Johnson dropped down to the bench.

Ashley Hemmings, with nine on the clock, had the game’s first chance when he floated a free kick beyond the dive of goalkeeper Jameson but also his far post, Prosser striking wayward shortly after.

Harriers struggled to really find time on the ball for much of the first half as City dominated possession – that said, the hosts had another clear chance when Butterfield nodded over from a corner in spite of that pressure. Just after, Austin’s shot needed clearing by Jameson before Penney smashed a follow-up off a York body and away.

There was arguably an even bigger chance on 34 minutes when Lowe recycled a corner back to Butterfield who headed downward and wide from less than six yards out, Green for York heading off target when well placed as the half edged towards its conclusion. Just two before the break, Harriers moved forward with purpose, but Chambers could only fire wide after swivelling on the edge of the area.

It was a nightmare start to the second half for Harriers as, within seconds, York took the lead – Penny failed to be alert to Maguire lurking behind him when he headed a ball back to his own goalkeeper, the City man nipping in and firing beyond the stopper to open the scoring.

City then, in the ascendancy, cruised their way through much of the half and frustrated Harriers who appeared simply unable to break them down – the visitors themselves going close to adding a second when Burrow headed wide by a fraction.

Chambers, on 70 minutes, nodded off target with what was a rare Harriers chance, Butterfield arrowing an attempt comfortably over six minutes later as York restricted the hosts to efforts from distance. In the final moments of normal time, Jameson was forced into a serious save at last when he tipped Hemmings’ drive over the bar, but York stood tall to the finish.