MARCO Adaggio came back to haunt Worcester City as the Highgate United marksman created one goal and netted another to give his side a 2-1 victory in the FA Vase.

The 30-year-old, who scored 24 goals in 83 appearances for City between 2008 and 2010, played in Josh Hawker for his 48th-minute opener before heading home a second five minutes later.

Worcester joint-manager John Snape was frustrated that his side missed a host of chances and despite skipper Nathan Hayward pulling a goal back late on they failed to secure a leveller.

“They were better in our box than we were in theirs and that’s what has cost us dearly," said Snape.

“We made enough chances before they scored and after to get back into the game. We’ve gone out of a big cup competition and it’s hurting at the moment.

“I was disappointed with their goals, the first one is a give-and-go and we should have tracked his run. For the second the ball has come into our six-yard box and we need to defend better than that.

“I don’t think anybody gave up and we had a couple of blows with Matt Birley’s injury and Josh Sarmento’s.

“It was a tough day at the office. They got in our faces and had a game plan to beat us.

"It was very disappointing for us and a bit of a body blow but that’s how it has gone. We need to learn from it and move on next week.”

City almost got off to the perfect start within the opening minutes when Hayward’s free-kick found the head of Lee Hughes but his effort was saved.

At the other end Adaggio showed warning signs after breaking through the hosts’ defence before putting his effort wide.

Winger Josh Sarmento was next to go close for Snape’s side, taking advantage of a defensive mistake and cutting inside.

However, his weak attempt at chipping over Bradley Catlow could only find Dave Reynolds who was denied by a last-gasp block.

Reynolds then had two chances to put his side ahead, firstly firing a free-kick wide before seeing his next effort saved.

Hughes would have expected to have done better before the break, volleying over when unmarked inside the box.

After 48 minutes Highgate took the lead with Adaggio flicking the ball through to Hawker who fired home.

Five minutes later Scott Rickards crossed onto the head of the Highgate marksman to double their lead.

Reynolds should have pulled a goal back after connecting with a James Baldwin cross but shot over.

Skipper Hayward handed City a lifeline with 16 minutes remaining after a Mark Danks corner was headed out for the midfielder to shoot low.

Despite numerous attempts City couldn’t find a leveller although Hughes did net only to be denied by a dubious offside flag.

City welcomed new signing Jordan Stoddart straight into the starting line-up and joint boss Snape said: “I think he did really well, he’s a big strong boy who wants to play for the football club and gave it his all.”

City: Gwynne, Stoddart, Weir, Smith, Thomas, Hayward, Birley (Danks 51), Forsyth, Hughes, Reynolds (Moran 87), Sarmento (Baldwin 49). Unused subs: Dayus, Lewis.

Highgate: Catlow, Courtney, Pulisciano, Edwards, Turner, Brown, Corrithers, Hawker, Adaggio, Rickards, Mooney. Unused subs: Curry, Hayward, Jagroop, Bryan, Cole.

Attendance: 391.