POLICE have closed a Worcester street  and asked residents in the area to close doors and windows due to 'hazardous material.'

The fire station commander at the scene on Mill Street told the Worcester News the material was chlorine thought to have spilled from the pool inside King's St Alban's.

He said: "There has been an accidental release of chlorine from the swimming pool area of the King's school. Three fire engines and two environmental agency workers are at the scene along with ambulances and police.

"We are putting together a plan of action to disperse the gas now and will remain at the scene until the gas is dispersed. Residents have been advised to close windows and doors as chlorine is a nasty chemical and can cause irritation to the skin and eyes."

Headteacher Gareth Doodes added: "‘We had a suspected chemical spill contained within the plant room at our swimming pool.

"As a precautionary measure we have followed our procedures and contacted the emergency services, who are dealing with the leak.

"We are very grateful to them for the speed and efficiency they’ve shown in addressing the matter." 
A spokesman for West Mercia Police said: "We are assisting the fire service at an incident on Mill Street in Worcester involving a hazardous material. 

"A 50 metre cordon is in place and we advise the public to avoid the area. 

"Nearby residents are advised to remain inside and close windows and doors as a precaution."