A man in his 70s had to be rescued from his home after crews were called out to a fire caused by a pan being left on the stove.

The fire happened in Burford Gardens in Evesham at 7.45pm last night with crews having to break into the property to get to the man.

Two Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crews from Evesham Fire Station attended to reports of smoke issuing from a house.

A fire service spokesperson said: "Smoke was caused by a pan left on the stove. Breaking-in tools were used to gain access and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a hosereel jet dealt with the smoke.

"A man in his 70s was escorted from the property but suffered no ill effects so the ambulance service was not required. The property was checked for hotspots using a thermal imaging camera, the cooker was isolated and advice was given. The incident was marked as pending closure at 8.24pm."