A 24-year-old pot smoker punched a Worcester pub window following an argument but ended up with serious cuts to his hand.

Kyle Gordon could not be arrested straight away because he needed to be taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital for his injures after he broke the £1,000 window at the Plough in Fish Street, Worcester.

Gordon of Burford Close, Warndon, Worcester, admitted criminal damage between September 11 and 12 this year when he appeared before magistrates in Worcester on Thursday.

When police later searched his home on November 1 they found cannabis. The defendant admitted possession of the class B drug which was for personal use only.

Shafquat Reaz, prosecuting, said: "Witnesses have heard an argument outside the premises of the Plough Inn just before midnight. They have then heard a window smash. CCTV has been interrogated and the defendant has been found nearby with serious cuts to his hand."

Once identified, Gordon admitted what he had done to police.

Paul Stanley, defending, said his client had been before Redditch Magistrates Court on November 6 for a domestic assault on a former partner, receiving an 18 month community order and 150 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty.

He said of the criminal damage to the pub window: "He is found nearby with an injury to his hand. To complicate matters he wasn't arrested that night but taken to hospital and subsequently brought to the police station five weeks later. When police were at his address they searched and found some cannabis in a bedside cabinet."

Gordon was also before Stoke Crown Court on November 11 for driving while disqualified and given a 16 week prison sentence suspended for 18 months and placed on an electronic tag. Mr Stanley said the criminal damage preceded these matters and asked magistrates to bear in mind his client's early guilty plea. Originally from Dudley, Gordon is on Universal Credit and lives in shared accommodation, Mr Stanley told the court.

Magistrates ordered him to pay compensation of £1,000 which the chairman of the bench said was 'a punishment in itself' and fined him £80 for possession of cannabis. They waived the victim surcharge, prioritising the payment of compensation.

The bench ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drugs.